Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saying goodbye....

After much thought, we decided to find Jack a new home. He is such a good, sweet dog so it was hard to do but it was best for him, and us. After Rosco died he just seemed lonely. Recently he had gotten so anxious anytime we were not home. Our fence is old and he learned that he could push the pickets out and then chew the bottom off and get out. He even started busting into our neighbors yard and then digging out of her yard. Trent had put chicken wire under the grass when we moved in so none of our dogs could dig out. I guess Jack found a way around that. :) It had gotten to the point that we could no longer leave him out. For the past 5 years we've left the back door open so he had access to his dog door, which was in the screen/glass door. He could come and go as he pleased. We never had to worry about dog sitters when we traveled (we couldn't take him with us because he hates the car) but that was no longer the case.
Trent posted an add in the paper and we got a few calls but none of them seemed to be the right fit. We didn't want to give him to just anyone. I wanted to make sure he went to a good home and that we would find a family that would love him even more than we did. I randomly decided to post a picture of him on facebook and see what that did. That day an old friend from school started texting me about him. Two days later she came over with her husband and step daughter to meet Jack and see if he was a good fit for their family. I cried.
We told them the good --he's only hyper for a few seconds when someone comes in and then he calms down and lays around, he's great with kids and babies, he's sweet, he's smart, he listens (most of the time), he gets along with other dogs, he sleeps with you, he's an inside dog and is potty trained. Then we told them the bad- he seems to be getting anxious when we aren't home, he HATES the car, he gets scared during storms and shakes right beside you until they are gone, he started digging out and he sheds. They loved him and decided to take him. I cried again. I had her take one last family picture of us before he left.
It's been hard even though I know it was the right decision. Cooper was not happy about him leaving. He kept saying, 'That's my Jack. That's my buddy' and they were buddies. They walked the fence line many times together. Cooper would ride him like he was a horse and Jack would let him. He slept by all three of our babies when they were little and played on the floor, he was my running partner, he slept at my feet and on Trent's pillow when he was out of town. He eagerly met us at the door everyday when we came home and tried to run out when we'd leave. He was a part of our family and we all loved him so much.
I know he's happy now. The couple that took him have another dog so he has a friend again. They have taken him to the dog park, camping and swimming. They take him on walks and love him like we did. They are huge animal people and treat their animals like family. I'm so thankful we found such a good home for him. She keeps me updated and sends me pictures. I still have moments that I feel so guilty for giving him away. Then I think about the three little kids I have and know he is getting more love and attention from them than he had from me in the past few years. Here are a few of my favorite pictures of our sweet Jack:


This was the day we got Jack. He was SO little! He made Rosco look big. 
I was pregnant with Madison --at this point these were still my only babies! (look at that ancient computer-wow)
 Rosco was Jack's best friend- he's never liked another dog as much as he loved Rosco.

 He would always lay by Madison (and the other two when they came along) if she was on the floor

 L.O.V.E this one of him and Madison!




Helping clean up Madison's 1st birthday cake mess

Walking the fence line -I couldn't find one of him and Cooper but I know I have a ton because they did this daily. They would also go out and eat tomatoes together off our plants. Cooper would pick them for both of them.

cleaning off Madison's plate after dinner -she was glad to share

Protector of the babies! If they were laying down, he was laying beside them!
 
Madison playing dress up with Jack. He was such a good sport.  

Jack was Cooper's buddy. He loved him so much. He's the one that still talks about him. In this picture: He was drinking one of those yogurt smoothies. I guess he thought Jack wanted some because he started dipping his finger in it and then would let Jack lick his finger clean. Then he'd repeat! 

 
We love you Jack and will never forget you!

1 comment:

Grammy Laurie said...

I wish I wouldn't have looked at or read this post :(